If you've ever wondered why you had to be the one with celiac, then you've certainly never been to a gluten free event. Yes, I got handouts, yes I got great information, and yes I got great food - but what I really got out of the Mustard Seed's Gluten Free Taste Fair was the realization that there are SO MANY people with celiac disease just in my little corner of Ohio.
Community is an awesome thing.
This was the third annual Gluten Free Taste Fair, and if you missed it, they've been such a success I was told they will almost certainly be another next year. It might even become a bi-annual event.
In brief, here's what I learned about the Ohio - Celiac going ons of the next few weeks...
- "Learn what you can eat on a Gluten - Free Diet: Discussion & Store Tour" will be held at the Solon Mustard Seed Market on Saturday, November 15th from 10:00 am - 12:00 noon. There's no charge for the tour. Call 440-519-3663 to register. And while you're there, be sure to stop at the Mustard Seed Market's Cafe, as it now provides gluten free menu upon request with lots of options, vegan and vegetarian gluten free offerings, too.
- Loretta Paganini, long time favorite Cleveland chef and proprietor of the Loretta Paganini School of Cooking is having a Gluten Free Dinner at Sapore Restaurant . The dinner / class lasts 2 hours and is $45 a person. The next one is this Thursday, October 16th, but on the website, they're already advertising the next dinner on Thursday, January 15th, 2009. Click the links above to register.
- Both the North East Ohio Celiac Support Group and the Greater Cleveland Celiac Association have upcoming meetings. The GCCA meets alternately on the east side (in Solon) and the west side (in Parma). They're next meeting is this Saturday, October 18th at 2pm at Parma Community Hospital. The NEOCSG meets in Independence, Ohio at the Independence Public Library and will be having a holiday cookie exchange in late November. Please click on the links for more information.
- The Celiac Conference will be held at the Columbus Children's Hospital Saturday, November 8th. Registration is required.
- Families with Food Allergies is having its Spooky Ooky 2008 party on Sunday, October 19th from 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Wickliffe, Ohio. It's a Halloween party with allergy safe foods and activities (and some guest speakers) that's great for kids, teens, and their parents, too. Please click on the link for RSVP information.
If that doesn't keep your gluten free calender as well stocked as your gluten free pantry, I don't know what will.